Richard Judd, born 1953 in Marshfield, WI. Attended the University of Wisconsin, Madison (1971-1973) and Milwaukee (B.S. in Architecture, 1975). Work in architecture and the building trades led to formation of business as designer and craftsman since 1984. Opened Zazen Gallery in 1997. Guest lecturer at the University of Wisconsin -Madison, 1999-2000 and 2003.
• Gold Award, Susie Gray Founder’s Award: 2014, Smithsonian Craft Show, Washington D.C.
• Best of Show, Furniture: 2010, 2011, Art Fair on the Square, Madison, WI
• Best of Show, Furniture: 2011, 2012, Art on the Square, Belleville, IL
• Best of Show: 1991, Best of Furniture: 2003, American Craft Exposition, Evanston, IL
• Visual Arts New Work Award: 1991, 1993, Wisconsin Arts Board, State of Wisconsin
• Visual Arts Fellowship: 1992, Wisconsin Arts Board, State of Wisconsin
• National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) Regional Fellowship Award in Crafts: 1992, Arts Midwest
• “The Art of Fine Furniture”, Winona County History Center, Winona, MN
• “Wisconsin Wood,” ARTspace, John Michael Kohler Arts Center, Sheboygan, WI
• “Curv-iture,” Furniture Society Juried Exhibition, Savannah, Raleigh, Denver, Houston, St. Petersburg
• International Contemporary Furniture Fair, Juried Exhibition, New York, NY
• “Objects for Use: Handmade by Design,” American Craft Museum, New York, NY
• Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show, Philadelphia, PA
• Smithsonian Craft Show, Washington, DC
• Epic Systems, Verona, WI
• West Bend Mutual Insurance, West Bend, WI
• DuPont Pioneer, Des Moines, IA
• Promega, Fitchburg, WI
• Madison Museum of Contemporary Art, Madison, WI
• North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
• City of Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI
• Delta Airlines, Atlanta, GA
• Furniture Studio, The Heart of the Functional Arts, John Kelsey and Rick Mastelli, The Furniture Society, 2000.
• Furniture Studio, Tradition in Contemporary Furniture, John Kelsey and Rick Mastelli, The Furniture Society, 2001.
• Objects for Use, Handmade by Design, Paul Smith, Abrams, 2001.
• Making Contemporary Wooden Tables, Thomas Stender, Lark Books, 2001.
• Furniture Studio 3, John Kelsey, The Furniture Society, 2005.
• The Penland Book of Woodworking: Master Classes in Woodworking Techniques, Lark Books, 2006.
• The Artful Home: Using Art & Craft to Create Living Spaces You’ll Love, Toni Sikes, Lark Books, 2007.
• 500 Chairs: Celebrating Traditional & Innovative Designs, Ray Hemachandra and Craig Nutt, Lark Books, 2008.
• 500 Tables: Inspiring Interpretations of Function and Style, Ray Hemachandra and Andrew Glasgow, Lark Books, 2009
• Studio Furniture: Today's Leading Woodworkers, Tina Skinner, Schiffer Publishing, Ltd. 2009.
• These Hands Tell A Story: 25 Years if Handcrafted Art, Susan J White, American Craft Exposition, 2009.